uk-approves-4bn-us-takeover-of-defence-company-cobham

UK approves £4bn US takeover of defence company Cobham

Cobham's midair refuelling of planes technology Image copyright Cobham

The government has approved a US private equity firm’s takeover of UK defence and aerospace company Cobham.

Advent International made a £4bn offer to buy Cobham in July, but it was delayed when the government intervened over national security concerns.

The government announced its approval of the deal late on Friday night – which the firm’s founding family said was “timed to avoid scrutiny”.

PM Boris Johnson said the UK remained a “dynamic” part of the defence industry.

Cobham, which employs 10,000 people, has extensive contracts with the British military and is seen as a world leader in air-to-air refuelling technology.

The firm, based in Wimborne, Dorset, also makes electronic warfare systems and communications for military vehicles.

Its expertise played a significant role in the Falklands War, allowing the Royal Air Force to attack the remote Port Stanley airfield.

Image copyright Cobham

Defence experts said its role in air-to-air refuelling was essential for modern warfare and could raise national security issues if the company was sold.

Shareholders approved Advent’s offer in August, but a month later the government intervened in the takeover, citing national security concerns.

In a statement on Friday, Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom said she was satisfied the risks that had been identified had been mitigated “to an acceptable level” – and allowed the deal to go ahead.

Mrs Leadsom said the decision had been “meticulously thought over” and came after she took advice from the defence secretary and the deputy national security adviser.

The business secretary added sensitive government information would continued to be protected under the new owner and existing contracts would be honoured.

The company is also obliged to give the government prior notice of any plans to sell the whole, or elements of, Cobham’s business.

‘Deeply concerning’

Lady Nadine Cobham – part of the family which set up the UK firm – called the decision “deeply disappointing” and criticised the timing of the decision.

She said it was “cynically timed to avoid scrutiny on the weekend before Christmas”, adding: “In one of its first major economic decisions, the government is not taking back control so much as handing it away.

“In Cobham we stand to lose yet another great British defence manufacturer to foreign ownership.”

Just before 10pm on a Friday is an odd time for this kind of thing to be announced.

One defence analyst remarked that it was as if the government rather wanted no-one to notice what had happened.

The curious timing may actually draw more attention than if it had been done at a more normal hour – few doubted the government would block the deal,

 » Read More at bbc.co.uk